1960 - 1990


Part 2 of the series "50 Years of Nuremberg Airport"

Nuremberg Airport opened after a construction period of one year on previously arable land in Kraftshof on 6 April 1955. In the first part of our history series, we reported on the first years of the aspiring young airport. Now we continue:

The runway was extended from the initial 1,900 to 2,300 meters in 1961, and seven years later extended again to the present length of 2,700 meters. This met the requirement for the first visit of a jumbo jet (Boeing 747) on 12 July 1970, an event that attracted 20,000 onlookers.

Nuremberg catches the holiday bug: Tourist flights really get going in May 1963. The first destinations are Majorca and the Adriatic. The Black Sea, Yugoslavia and the Spanish mainland are added in 1966.

The extension of the main apron in 1977 makes it considerably easier to handle wide-bodied aircraft. Nuremberg Airport now handles 732,007 passengers a year (for comparison: over 3.3 million in 2003!).

A new passenger terminal with a large observation deck and restaurant replaces the outdated facilities of the old building in 1981. In the initial years of the airport’s history, the visitors could still drink their coffee right next to the taxiway.

Nürnberger Flugdienst NFD (subsequently Eurowings) commences operations in 1984. Package holidays boom more than ever. Latest holiday hits: Rhodes and Fuerteventura. Passenger figures top the million mark in December 1986.

1988 sees the longed for breakthrough in noise protection, when stricter conditions cut the share of older and therefore louder aircraft to one percent.